EU Funding in Northern Ireland

EU The EU works with national and regional authorities to deliver funding through five main funds Structural and Investment funds to implement the Europe 2020 Strategy. Budgets are set for for periods of 7 years:

European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) – regional and urban development
European Social Fund (ESF) – social inclusion and good governance
Cohesion Fund (CF) – economic convergence by less-developed regions
European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD)
European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)
more about how EU funding operates…

Contact details for the 2014-20 Funding Programmes:

European Social Fund (ESF) (205.2 million Euro) aims to combat poverty and enhance social inclusion by reducing economic inactivity and to increase the skills base of those currently in work and future potential participants in the workforce.

ERDF Investment for Growth & Jobs Programme for NI (308 million Euro)

Common Agricultural Policy (2,299m Euro): Direct payment (Pillar 1) (EAGGF) the Dept of Agriculture and Rural Development
Common Agricultural Policy (228m Euro) Rural Development Programme (Pillar II) (EAGGF) Dept of Agriculture and Rural Development
The Dept of Agriculture and Rural Development is now known as The Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA)

European Fisheries Fund (23.5m Euro) aim to provide financial support for the fisheries sector

INTERREG Programme promotes transnational and interregional cooperation and INTERREG IVA and VA are joint Northern Ireland/ Republic of Ireland/ Scotland allocations.
INTERREG VA (240.3 million Euro)
INTERREG VB
INTERREG C

PEACE Programme (229.1 million Euro)
The EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation is a unique Structural Funds programme aimed at reinforcing progress towards a peaceful and stable society in Northern Ireland and the Border Region of Ireland. The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) contribution to the Peace Programme is €229m. Up to 85% of funding is available under the ERDF. The remaining 15% will normally be provided by the Northern Ireland Executive and the Irish Government.

Since 1995 Europe has paid £1.3 billion euro to support peace in Northern Ireland and the border counties in the Republic of Ireland through PEACE and Interreg programmes.

The INTERREG and the PEACE Programme are manage by the Special EU Programmes Body SEUPB
Peace Programme Fact Sheet

N Ireland Rural Development Programme  aims to sustain and grow rural development.

Funding available to N Ireland through other EU wide Programmes

Creative Europe  aims to support the cultural, creative and audio-visual sectors
Erasmus+ (14.7billion Euro with 112.6m Euro to the Uk in 2015) aims to modernise education, training and youth work across Europe
Horizon 2020 is the EU’s €80 billion research & innovation funding programme to support Research and Innovation in science, industrial leadership and tackling societal challenges.
Rights, Equality and Citizenship aims to support projects in non discrimination, anti-racism, disability, gender equality, right of the child, and prevention of violence against children, young people, women and other groups at risk (Daphne).
COSME is the EU programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises and Small and Medium–sized Enterprises (SMEs) running from 2014 to 2020 with a planned budget of €2.3bn.
Consumer Programme 2014 – 2020 € 188b Placing consumers at the centre of the Single Market and empowering them to participate actively in the market and make it work for them.
Europe for Citizens 2014 – 2020 €185,468,000 to Support activities to increase awareness and citizens’ understanding of the EU, its values and history, such as the remembrance of Europe’s past and partnerships between cities (town-twinning) and to become more engaged in civic and democratic activities through debates and discussions on EU-related issues.

Apply for Funding

European Cohesion Policy Programmes 2014 – 2020

EU Funding Guide 2014 – 20201

A Beginner’s Guide to EU Funding: SMEs, NGOs, Youth, Researchers, Farmers, Public Bodies

Other EU Grants